Monday, May 5, 2008

Back in Los Estados Unidos (the United States)

I’m back!

After a long bus ride to Madrid, sleeping on a cold airport floor, and a 7 hour flight (to Philly and then a hour flight to Cleveland) I am back in Monroeville. Hogar dulce hogar. (Home sweet home). It really is nice to be back, although my departure was very agredulce (bittersweet). I’ve realized it just takes me a long time to fall in love with a place (and people too for that matter.) It takes people who care about me and a sense of belonging before I really begin to give in to my surroundings. Thankfully I found both in Sevilla. I had a loving family, a few good friends, and a handful of experiences that will keep Sevilla in my heart forever.

I was talking to my host brother, Manolo, about the magic of Sevilla just hours before I left. “It’s like the city has hands,” I explained. “And they are reaching out for you. I could feel it when I first got here, but I was too nervous to give in. The city was saying, ‘Tranquillo. No pasa nada.’ and I was like, ‘Ahhh no! I’m in another country. What should I do with myself?’ “

Manolo laughed and agreed. There’s something about this place, besides his family, that will always make him come back. Sevilla just has this influence on people- this romantic, tranquil influence- that makes people act well, more tranquil and romantic. It even got to a crazy American girl like me. : )

Here is a brief list of what Spain and Sevilla has taught me these past 3 months:

  • -Walk slow and take time to stop and smell the orange blossoms.
  • -Good food comes in bit sizes and is meant to be shared. (i.e. tapas)
  • -Celebrations should be week long, community affairs with lots of food and music.
  • -The importance of sitting down to a meal as a family.
  • -You will be judged by which soccer team you support.
  • -No pasa nada! (“Don’t worry, be happy.”)
  • -Being on time means being a least 10 minutes late.
  • -Cutting off the ends of your words is acceptable and even proper speech.
  • -Partying starts at midnight and goes until dawn.
  • -Polka dots rule.
  • -When you can’t say it in Spanish use charades.
  • -Greet with besitos. (A kiss on each cheek.)
  • -Take a siesta.

“Adios Guadaliquiver,” I said to the river as I passed over the puente de Triana (Triana bridge) for the last time.

“No,” Manolo corrected, “It’s not ‘adios’ it’s ‘hasta luego’, because you will be coming back.”

I sure hope so.

No comments: