¡Hola todos! I´ve finally arrived in my host city, Sevilla, Spain. Sevilla is the capital of Andulcia, the most southern region of Spain. I live in the barrio (neighborhood) called Triana with my host mother and father and my roommate, Abby (another American student from PA). We arrived late last night, dragged our lugguage off the bus, and were greeted with kisses (one on each cheek) from our host parents. They are such a sweet couple. Our señora, Amparo, is very talkative and animated, while her husband, Fermin, is more reserved and quiet, making them a perfect match. They have a son, Manolo, who lives near by with his Italian girlfriend.
Our room is muy pequeño but cozy. Abby and I share a closet and drawers which only proves we brought too much stuff, but we´re making do.
My first couple days here in Madrid and Toledo were fun and exciting. In Madrid we visited the royal palace which was incredible (over 2,000 rooms, all ornatly decorated). We also saw two museums, El Prado (classic art ie El Greco, Murillo, Goya) and El Reina Sofia (contempry ie Picasso, Dali). We took a day trip to El Escorial, a palace/monestary that was built by the Hapsburgs and got to see the tombs of the kings and queens of Spain.
Using my Spanish has been an adventure. I can understand most of the time, but when I open my mouth to speak it take me awhile to translate my thoughts. I know it will just take time. The most interesting thing Abby and I had to get across so far was calling the front desk to tell them we blew a fuse. The Spanish word for fuse is fusible, just in case you wanted to know. : )
Today I get to tour the Cathedral in Sevilla (the largest in the world after St. Peters in Rome) and then I start classes. It will be nice to get my schedule and get into a routine. I´m just so thankful things have been going so smoothly. Spain is a beautiful country and the students I´m traveling with have been a lot of fun. I can´t wait to really dig into life here in Sevilla.
Love you and miss you all!
Emily
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Miss Emily!!!
I am so glad to hear you made it safely to Spain! =) You seem to be settling in well and hitting it off with Abby. It sounds so exciting over there. I can only imagine what you are going to discover, learn, and take away from such a wonderful place. Keep us posted on your classes, Spain family, and adventures! I miss and love you!!!!!
Katie
Post a Comment